MILITARY ABSENTEE BALLOTS:
Military personnel and dependents may vote by military absentee ballot if:
· You are in the Military Service
· You are a patient in a VA Hospital
· You are a civilian attached to the armed services
WHERE DO I VOTE?
There are fourteen voting districts in Sparta. Your voting poll number and physical location is printed on the front page of the sample ballot you receive approximately one week prior to the elections.
WHAT TIME ARE THE POLLS OPEN?
6:00 A.M. TO 8:00 P.M. – Municipal, Primary & General
Should you have any questions regarding voting, please contact the Municipal Clerk’s Office at 729-4493.
I WANT TO REGISTER TO VOTE. WHAT GUIDELINES MUST I FOLLOW?
· You must be 18 years of age by the election.
· You must be residing in Sparta Township at least 30 days prior to the election.
· You must be a Citizen of the United States
WILL I EVER BE REQUIRED TO RE-REGISTER?
Voter Registration in New Jersey is permanent except when the voter has moved from the County in which he has registered or changed his/her name.
· A voter who moves within the same election district remains registered and may be allowed to vote for two years.
· If a voter moves within the County at least 29 days prior to an election, voter must file a Change of Address notice with the County Board of Elections.
· Voters who move within the County within the 29 days preceding the election, may vote at their new designated polling place by means of a “Failsafe Ballot”. You should contact your Municipal Clerk for this information.
WHEN MUST I REGISTER TO VOTE TO BE ELIGIBLE TO VOTE IN THE NEXT ELECTION?
You may register at any time prior to the 21st day before any election:
WHERE DO I GO TO REGISTER TO VOTE?
At the Sparta Township Municipal Clerk’s Office.
At the Sussex County Board of Elections.
At any Motor Vehicle Office or Welfare Office.
* Download form here. A mail-in registration form can be used if you are unable to appear in person. When completed, mail it to the Board of Elections, 83 Spring Street, Suite 305, Newton, NJ 07860. This same form can also be used for name and address changes.
Unfortunately, the Board of Elections cannot accept faxed copies or an electronic transmission of a voter registration form since an original signature is required.
HOW DO I CHANGE MY PARTY AFFILIATION?
A Party Declaration Form must be filled out. PARTY DECLARATION FORMS MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE SUSSEX COUNTY BOARD OF ELECTIONS NO LATER THAN 50 DAYS PRIOR TO THE PRIMARY ELECTION.
You may apply for an absentee ballot for any reason.
Absentee ballot applications should be mailed to the County Clerk's office, 83 Spring Street, Suite 304, Newton, NJ 07860. To find out about application deadlines, or to see if you are eligible for an absentee ballot, please call the County Clerk at (973)579-0900.
A quick guide to using the Electronic Voting Machines.
MUNICIPAL ELECTIONS ARE HELD THE SECOND TUESDAY IN MAY ON EVEN NUMBERED YEARS. PRIMARY IS HELD THE FIRST TUESDAY AFTER THE FIRST MONDAY IN JUNE AND GENERAL IS HELD THE FIRST TUESDAY AFTER THE FIRST MONDAY IN NOVEMBER.