When is a permit required?

A permit is required to construct, enlarge, repair, renovate, alter, reconstruct or demolish a structure or to install or alter equipment, such as heating or air conditioning.  There are exceptions for ordinary maintenance.

The following are not considered ordinary repairs and would require a permit:

  • Cutting away of any wall, partition or portion thereof
  • The removal or change of any structural beam or bearing support
  • The removal or change of any required means of egress
  • Any work affecting structural or fire safety
  • Any work that will increase the nonconformity of any building or structure
  • Addition to, or alteration, replacement or relocation of water supply, sewer drainage, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping
  • Addition to, or alteration, replacement or relocation of electrical wiring other than low voltage communication wiring in a one or two family home
  • Installation of wood paneling

The following are considered ordinary repairs and would not require a permit:

  • Exterior or interior painting
  • Installation, repair or replacement of less than 25% of plaster or drywall in any given room
  • Vinyl or Paper wall covering
  • Replacement of glass in any door or window  (The glass must be of the type required by code)
  • The installation and replacement of any window or door, including garage doors, in the same opening without altering the dimensions or framing of the original opening.  This includes storm windows and doors.  Replacement egress doors and windows shall reduce the required height, width or net clear opening of the previous window or door.
  • Repair or replacement of any non-structural members such as kitchen cabinets.
  • The replacement or installation of any flooring material in a one or two-family home
  • The repair or installation of interior or exterior trim or molding
  • The repair of existing roof material not exceeding 25% of the total roof area in any 12-month period
  • The repair of existing siding, with like material, not exceeding 25% of the total building exterior wall area in any 12-month period
  • The repair or replacement of any part of a porch or stoop, which does not support a roof
  • The replacement or installation of screens
  • Installation of roll or batt insulation when installed within 1 ½ inches of an interior finish
  • Replacement of exterior rain gutters and leaders
  • Replacement hose bib valves in single-family homes, replacement hose bib valves must have an atmospheric vacuum breaker
  • Refinishing of any plumbing fixtures.  Relining of plumbing fixtures is not considered an ordinary repair
  • Repair of leaks by replacement of piping between two fittings only
  • Replacement of faucets or working parts of faucets
  • Replacement of valves other than shower or combination bath/shower valves
  • Replacement of working parts of valves
  • Replacement of traps in single-family homes
  • Replacement of a toilet, bathroom sink or kitchen sink, provided no change in pipe arrangement is needed.  Replacement toilets shall use a maximum of 1.6 gallons per flush.
  • Replacement of existing domestic clothes washers or dishwashers
  • Replacement of any receptacle (outlet), switch, or lighting fixture rated at 20 amps or less and operating at less than 150 volts.  Replacement of a receptacle in a location requiring a ground fault circuit interrupter by the electric code is not considered an ordinary repair and requires a permit.
  • The installation of battery-operated smoke detectors
  • Repair or Replacement of heating or air conditioning components; motors, pumps and fans of the same capacity; heating supply and return piping and radiation elements not requiring the rearrangement of the piping system; ductwork or control devices (thermostats)
  • Replacement of kitchen range hoods in a single-family home
  • Replacement of clothes dryers, stoves or ovens within dwelling units provided no change in fuel type, location or electrical characteristics is required

Show All Answers

1. How Do I Install My Mailbox?
2. Does Sparta Township require an inspection on the resale of a home?
3. I’m selling my house, is the Township going to make me remove my underground oil storage tank?
4. I’m selling my house, the buyer’s inspector said some items are not “up to code”, is the Township going to make me bring my house up to the current code?
5. When is a permit required?
6. My hot water heater broke on a Friday night, do I need to wait until Monday and get a permit before I have it replaced?
7. Can the Building Department recommend a Contractor?
8. Do I need a permit to re-roof my house?
9. Do I need a permit to reside my house?
10. What are the Building Department’s hours?
11. Can I request a specific time for inspections?
12. What is the best time to talk to an inspector?
13. What forms will I need for my permit application?
14. Can you fax me the forms?
15. Can I use forms from another town?
16. Can I draw the construction drawings myself or do I need an architect?
17. How many copies of the construction drawing do I need to submit with my application?
18. What needs to be on the construction drawings?
19. How long will it take to get my permit after I make an application?
20. Do I need a permit for a shed?
21. Do I need a permit to put up a fence?
22. When is a permit required for a pool?
23. I’m having replacement windows installed, do I need a permit?
24. Can the Building Department answer questions about my well or septic system?
25. How are the fees for permits calculated?
26. My neighbors are doing work and I don’t think they have a permit. Can an inspector come check it out?
27. Are there certain hours that construction activities can take place?
28. What codes are used in Sparta Township?
29. Are there any restrictions on fences?