How Can You Help in Good Earthkeeping

  1. Recycling
  2. Bats
  3. Plastic Bags
  4. Household Medications
  5. CFL Bulbs


Please do your part in helping the environment. The Sparta Township Environmental Commission encourages everyone to recycle.

The following items are picked up curbside: Aluminum and tin cans, glass (clear, amber & green), all plastic containers with codes between 1 PET and 7 OTHER (milk, soda, detergent, bleach, yogurt cups, baby wipe containers). These items can all be co-mingled together in one reusable container.

Recyclable fiber materials include: corrugated cardboard & brown paper bags (bundled), newsprint, magazine, telephone books, junk mail chip boards (food cereal, tissue, shoe boxes and other gray and white paper board containers), office paper and shredded paper. The items can also be co-mingled in one reusable container.

Non-Recyclable Items

Non-recyclable items are:

  • Aerosol cans
  • Ceramics
  • Coat hangers
  • Drinking glasses
  • Oil and paint cans
  • Plastic bags
  • Plastic toys
  • Wax-coated material (juice boxes and main cartons)
  • Window glass

Recycling Center

The following items can be recycled Monday – Saturday 7 am – 2 pm at Sussex County Municipal Utilities Authority, 34 Route 94S, Lafayette, NJ 973-579-6998)

  • Aluminum Bakery Plates and Foil
  • Aluminum Beverage Cans
  • Chipboard
  • Clear and Green Soda Bottles, Number 2 Pet Plastic Containers
  • Clear, Green and Amber, Number 1 Pet Plastic Containers
  • Corrugated Cardboard and Press-Board
  • Glass Bottles and Jars
  • Junk Mail
  • Magazines
  • Milk, Juice, Water, Detergent Bottles
  • Mixed Office Paper and Shredded Paper
  • Newsprint
  • Old Clothing
  • Steel and Bi-Metal Food and Beverage Cans
  • Used Motor Oil, Waste Anti-Freeze and Household Batteries

Monthly Shredding Service 

Monthly shredding service is the 3rd Friday of every month 9 am to Noon, $6 per 40 pound box – no limit.


Contact the Technical Support Center of the NJ State Department of Environmental Protection:

  • For Freshwater Wetland or Highlands questions call 609-777-0454
  • For Waterfront Development, C.A.F.R.A., Stream Encroachment or Flood Hazard Area permitting questions call 609-984-0162.