Current Water Restrictions
Current Water Restrictions in Effect
Permanent Water Conservation Restrictions & Guidelines
Outdoor watering of lawns, gardens or other vegetation by lawn sprinklers of the portable type or permanent irrigation installation shall be restricted to 6 to 9 am and 6 to 9 pm for hours of operation and follow the alternate days, odd/even restrictions.
During the months of April, May, June, July, August, September, and October of each year, all customers being served by the Utility are requested to observe the following voluntary water use restrictions:
Outdoor conservation measures:
- Outdoor usage between the hours of 9 am to 6 pm shall be restricted to hand-held hoses for the watering of gardens, shrubs, flower beds, car and equipment and buildings and decks shall be restricted to alternate days, with usage as follows:
- Even-numbered days - even dwelling, building or box number
- Odd-numbered days - odd dwelling, building or box number
There shall be no such outdoor water usage on the 31st day of any month within the voluntary restriction period.
Water Restriction Notice
Attention Customers of the Following Municipal Water System:
Highlands Water System
Effective Tuesday, June 9, 2015, until further notice: Please be advised that the Township of Sparta is hereby announcing a mandatory water restriction and conservation notice to the consumers of the township-owned highlands water system in accordance with township code, Chapter Xix, section 19-10 entitled "Permanent Water Conservation Restrictions and Guidelines". While highlands well number 2 is removed from service during the construction of treatment upgrades, it is imperative that each water consumer take measures to conserve water and help ensure adequate water supplies for the health and safety of our community. This restriction notice regulates outdoor water activities.
Under this order, the limited restrictions for the highlands water system are as follows:
- Lawn Watering- odd or even address numbers will determine what days you may water your lawn. If your address ends in an odd number, you may water on odd-numbered days. If your address ends in an even number, you may water on even-numbered days. LIMITED HOURS ARE ALSO IN EFFECT ON YOUR ASSIGNED DAY. You may water from 6 am until 9 am or 6 pm to 9 pm. No one can water from 9 am to 6 pm on any day.
- Washing of sidewalks/ driveways is prohibited.
- Flowerbeds, vegetable gardens, shrubs and trees may be watered using a hose with a handheld shut-off nozzle or another low-volume watering method. But the even/ odd day schedule still applies.
- Vehicles may be washed, but only with a bucket or hose with an automatic shut-off nozzle.
- Planting of ornamental vegetation, grass, and sod by residents or landscapers is discouraged since watering restrictions are in effect. If circumstances warrant such activities (ex. new construction) and receive the Utility's prior approval to water, then new sod or seed may be watered daily for the first 45 days only. You must notify the Water Department on the date of seed planting or sod installation.
Violators are subject to fines. If you have any questions or would like to report a violation, please contact Water Utility at 973-729-7133.